International Student Resources
- The University of Georgia Offices of International Education
- Planning Ahead: Program Completion and Graduation
- Obtaining a Social Security Number
Information on Obtaining an F1 Work Visa
- After you have graduated, you have 60 days before your visa expires (date found on I-20) to apply for an F1Work Visa. *Program date is based off the last date of degree completion (ex. last day of final exam).
- If you need to change your program date, be sure to complete an program amendment form.
- Be sure to contact Immigration Services at least four months prior to completing all degree requirements.
Possible Visas for Employment
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT) – Generally for internships training required by your degree program. Valid for 1 year.
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) – Must apply for OPT no later than 60 days after your program date and is good for 1 year. You can apply for the OPT starting at 90 days from the date that you will graduate and up to 60 days after graduation. To apply, you must attend online workshop, complete the iStart form and attend a Q&A session. Once granted, OPTs are valid for 1 year.
- H-3 Visa (Trainee) – Individual must secure training from a US employer who has established training program. Valid for 2 years.
- H-1B Visa (Specialty Occupation) – (1) Employer to sponsor the applicant, (2) A U.S. Bachelors Degree or its equivalent, and (3) A correlation between the job duties and the applicant’s education and work experience. Valid for 3 years and can be extended.
UGA Office of International Student and Immigration Services
1324 South Lumpkin St.
Athens, GA 30602-5407
Immigration Services Walk-in Hours:
Tuesday 2 – 4pm
Wednesday 2 – 4pm
Thursday 10am – 12pm
To make an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org.