The University of Georgia Athletic Association and Piedmont Bank are joining forces as part of an innovative, multi-year partnership to spotlight and celebrate former student-athletes for their success and contributions as business leaders.
The inaugural honorees of Piedmont Bank’s Arch Award will be announced during the fall as part of an integrated series of content, interviews, and unique access events. This award, the first of its kind, focuses on the honorees’ stories and lessons learned in their time at UGA, on and off the field, and how they have applied them to succeed as leaders in business.
“The same drive and dedication required to be a successful athlete and team player is exactly what’s needed to be a business leader and entrepreneur,” said Monty Watson, Chairman and CEO, Piedmont Bank. “As a bank dedicated to opening doors and opportunities for local businesses, we couldn’t be more excited to join UGAAA in recognizing former athletes leading by example in the business world.”
The initial four honorees will be recognized as part of a special event on Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium during the Bulldogs’ game against Missouri on Nov. 6. The partnership includes collaborative events with student-athletes featuring honorees and Piedmont Bank executives sharing their personal experience and advice for business success after college athletics.
“We are so proud of the rich tradition of Georgia athletics in competition and beyond. Many of our former student-athletes have made a significant impact in their professional careers and we are thrilled that we will be able to recognize them in this very special way,” J. Reid Parker Director of Athletics Josh Brooks said. “Piedmont Bank is a tremendous partner of Georgia athletics and we are grateful for their partnership in this important initiative.”
Every year, Georgia student-athletes graduate and begin their professional careers in a variety of fields. They pursue their athletic and academic goals as Bulldogs and apply that same energy and enthusiasm to building a successful career. The Arch Award enables these stories to be shared with the UGA community to showcase the off-the-field achievements that make UGA unique.
“As the collegiate world changes, it’s more important than ever for today’s athletes to learn from those who’ve successfully transitioned from the field of play to business and entrepreneurship,” Watson said. “We’re elated to sponsor the Arch Award and help shine a spotlight on past athletes who are driven to become equally successful business leaders.”
Piedmont Bancorp, Inc. is a $1.6 billion asset bank holding company headquartered in Peachtree Corners, Ga. Through its subsidiary, The Piedmont Bank, the company operates 13 offices in the Atlanta area and North Georgia dedicated to exceptional service and innovative products for both business and personal banking. Piedmont Bank is proud to have Mountain Valley Community Bank and Westside Bank as part of their community bank family. For more information, visit www.piedmont.bank.
- Co-founded by Curtis and Carrie Zimmerman, The Zimmerman Agency utilizes WOW! planning against advertising, public relations, digital and social initiatives for national brands such as Aflac, Hertz, Domino’s Sugar, Firehouse Subs, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Clubs, Hard Rock, Party City, PGA TOUR, CitiBank, Marriott International, American Airlines, Cooper Tire, to name a few.
- The Zimmerman Agency touts billings exceeding $165 million annually and employs more than 160 full-time professionals.
- The agency is the second largest hospitality public relations firm in the United States and three times larger than any other public relations company in Florida. The firm is part of Omnicom, the global marketing powerhouse.
- Carrie has been the guest speaker on her WOW! philosophy to companies in Moscow, Singapore, Cairo, London, Macau, San Juan, Toronto and other global markets.
- LinkedIn Profile | Company Website
- Randall Godfrey is a former football linebacker in the NFL. Godfrey played collegiate football at the University of Georgia, where he majored in housing and consumer economics. He also played High School Football at Lowndes High School in Valdosta, Georgia. He was drafted in the 1996 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys with the 49th overall pick. Since then, he has also played for the Tennessee Titans, Seattle Seahawks, San Diego Chargers, and Washington Redskins.
- In 2008, Godfrey retired from the National Football League and now resides in Atlanta GA, where he reaches out to many that are suffering in domestic violence relationships. Funds and donations from The Randall Godfrey All-Star Football Camp are given back to local recreational centers in the Valdosta, GA area.
- The Randall Godfrey Foundation has also helped many women get out of domestic violent relationships, by providing alternatives to living in a violent situation, along with educating women of resources necessary for prevention with the goal of helping victims to make healthier choices for themselves and their families.
- Godfrey Foundation Website
Funeral Home Notes:
- Godfrey Funeral Home was established in 2005 by Mr. Randall E. Godfrey Sr., with the hope of providing the Lowndes Valdosta Metro Area and surrounding counties with a modern and spacious facility dedicated to providing personal and professional funeral services.
- Under the management of Rodney K. Godfrey, Godfrey Funeral Home excelled well into its first year of business and with the assistance of the staff assembled, Godfrey Funeral Home raised the standard of funeral service in the Lowndes Valdosta Community and surrounding counties.
- Godfrey Funeral Home Website
- Brandi Hunter-Lewis is a graduate of the University of Georgia, where she was a member of the women’s basketball team which won two SEC Championships (96’, 97’) and twice adorned Final Four honors (95’, 96’).
- She is currently a Real Estate Consultant with Keller Williams Realty of Buckhead, where she has won numerous sales awards. She is a Lifetime Member of the Atlanta Board of Realtors distinguished, “Multi Million Dollar Club.” Her designations include Accredited Buyer’s Representative and the prestigious Certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist, which are the benchmarks for excellence in buyer’s representation and luxury homes.
- She is in the top 1% of production for agents in the highly successful Keller Williams Buckhead office and top 5% of agents nation wide. She has created a unique niche by becoming the go-to Realtor for NFL and NBA athletes, distinguished professionals, and for Atlanta’s high profile musicians & reality TV stars, including the likes of the Kandi Burruss, Offset & Cardi B, Fetty Wap and a host of others.
- Born in San Antonio, Texas, Will moved around as a child, due to his father’s service in the United States Air Force. He played football at UGA, where he was a starter for three years, and pursued a degree in Landscape Architecture. He was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the 2002 NFL draft and has also since played for the St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles and Tennessee Titans.
- Having built his career playing a highly physical and competitive sport, Will Witherspoon, former NFL linebacker, is especially aware of the health benefits of pasture-based, high-welfare farming. “Initially, Shire Gate Farm began as a home for beloved Shire Horses, Rocky and Simon, a.k.a the “Big Boys”, where they could roam freely. The land we acquired was large enough for additional livestock, so we decided to realize our dream of owning and operating a hobby farm, soon it became much more than that.”
- Nestled in the foothills of Owensville, Missouri; Shire Gate has quickly become the industry’s highest standard of humanely raised, antibiotic and hormone free, natural grass-fed beef.