The article was originally written for Georgiadogs.com. To view the original article, click here.
The Georgia football team is launching another project as part of the
“Dawgs For Pups” initiative with a community connection drive to support Family Promise of Athens and the Food Bank of Northeast Georgia.
Family Promise of Athens seeks to help families in crisis situations of homelessness achieve sustainable independence, while the Food Bank of Northeast Georgia works to target the root causes of hunger and malnutrition by providing healthy food, nutrition education, and innovative distribution methods.
Previous “Dawgs For Pups” initiatives in 2020 and 2021 included:
• Wi-Fi Drive: Raised more than $100,000 for Wi-Fi hotspots to help Clarke County School District students engage in virtual learning.
• Food2Kids Snack Drive: Collected approximately 30,000 pounds of snacks to be donated to the Food Bank of Northeast Georgia for families experiencing food insecurity.
• Coat Drive: Donated more than 400 coats to the Boys & Girls Club for youth in need of winter coats.
• Christmas Family Adoption: Adopted 100 families to provide Christmas gifts.
• Downtown Academy: Donated G-Day Game proceeds ($103,000) to the school, participated in a physical education class to encourage students to stay active to maintain health and well-being, and delivered the commencement speech for kindergarten and fifth grade classes.
• Reading Clinics: Conducted reading clinics at 13 Clarke County School District elementary schools during summer school, engaging with 750 students.
• Backpack Drive: Collected nearly 200 backpacks for students in the Clarke County School District.