The University of Georgia Office of Emergency Preparedness in collaboration with the University of GeorgiaPolice are providing all students, faculty, and staff with the LiveSafe app.
What is LiveSafe?
LiveSafe is a personal safety mobile app that provides a quick, convenient, and discreet way to communicate directly with University of Georgia safety officials, enhancing your overall safety and allowing University of Georgia Police to better protect you.
LiveSafe Goals: A Mobile Solution to Increase Overall Safety
- Communication: To increase communication between the University of Georgia community and safety officials in order to increase safety and awareness.
- Prevention: To be a preventative measure in stopping crimes and incidents before they occur.
- Collaboration: To leverage the community’s eyes and ears in helping keep campus safe.
Explaining the Main Features of the LiveSafe App:
- Report Tips: The “Report Tips” feature allows you to send text, picture, video, and audio directly to University of Georgia Police in real-time, and anonymously if you prefer. You can share information about any safety incidents or concerns, such as suspicious activity, theft, harassment, and more. You can also engage in a live chat with a safety official.
- Emergency Options: By calling 911, calling University of Georgia Police, or Messaging University of Georgia Police from the “Emergency Options” screen, you will initiate location tracking, allowing safety officials to see where you are and respond to you more quickly in an emergency situation. You can easily stop location tracking at any time after the call is placed.
- SafeWalk: Get from place to place safely by using SafeWalk to invite your contacts to “virtually escort” you, allowing them to follow your location on a map as they chat with you. You can request to virtually escort others as well.
- Resources: Access important safety information such as emergency procedures, health & wellness resources, sexual assault assistance resources, and more.
Best Practices to Download and Start Using the LiveSafe App
- Complete your profile: To gain the maximum benefit of the LiveSafe app, make sure to complete your user profile with your mobile phone number. This University of Georgia better respond to reports you send in.
- Enable Push Notifications: Allow “Push Notifications” to be enabled in your Settings. University of Georgia Police Department will respond to messages sent through the app. You will not be spammed.
- Enable Location Services: Be sure to enable location services. Safety officials rely on GPS data to better serve and protect you. When you report an incident or make an emergency call through the app, University of Georgia will see your location so they can respond quickly. Don’t worry! You are not being actively tracked, and can stop location tracking (when used during emergencies) any time you want.
Steps to Download LiveSafe
- Download “LiveSafe” from the App Store or Google Play (Enable location services and push notifications when prompted).
- Sign up using your mobile phone number, email or Facebook account.
- Create a password and fill in your name.
- Search for “University of Georgia” to connect with the organization.
- Add your email to your profile (Left Menu > Settings > Profile).