Paperwork to Expect at Your New Job


contractWhen you are hired for a new job, one of the first stops you’ll make is HR (Human Resources). The nice people in HR will hand you several forms, which you may never have seen before. Below is some information to keep you from feeling too overwhelmed. If you have any questions when completing the paperwork, do not hesitate to ask. Your HR representative is there to help.

Form W-4
This IRS form states the amount of your income tax withheld from your paycheck. The amount withholding can depend on multiple factors including: your income, your stated allowances, number of dependents, and martial status. The IRS has created a withholding calculator to assist you in determining the appropriate amount. For a more in-depth look at filling out the form, visit the “how to complete the W-4” blog.

Form I-9. This USCIS form verifies your identity as well as your work status in the United States. International employees should work with their HR departments to ensure all their visa paperwork is in order. For more on obtaining a visa, please visit our page devoted to international students.

Benefits Forms.
These forms may include: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plan, parking space, stock options, and/or other benefits.

Emergency Contact Forms. Pretty straight forward. This sheet tells who to contact in case of an emergency.

Organization’s Handbook. You might be asked to sign a form of acknowledgment stating you received a copy of the employee handbook.

Employment Contract. Your contract might be an “at-will contract” meaning your are employed at will and can be let go at any point. Some contracts may state a specified length of time. This usually depends on the nature of the job and the culture of the organization.



Posted on

August 23, 2016

Positive SSL